
First to implant a thought- When children feel they belong and the educator cares about them, learning is facilitated.
Now the explanation-
The concept of ‘belonging’ permeates many of my readings. Merriam-Webster defines belonging as- “close or intimate relationship.” Also Webster’s New Collegiate Dictionary defines to belong as- “to have a proper, appropriate, or suitable place. To be naturally associated with something. To fit into a group naturally.” In education, this relationship may take several levels- with peers, with teachers, with administrators, with the student body, and with the overall school environment. I’m using school environment in this context as the ethos of the institution. Interestingly, the articles I’ve read discussing belonging have wrongfully omitted this final level. Consider the impact a school’s reputation can have on the students. In a horrible scenario let’s consider a school is known to be racist and considered a ‘white school.’ I doubt many would feel they belong at such an institution. Now consider a school known as ‘troubled’ or ‘low-performing.’ Likely not all students may feel they belong. I’ve only considered different labels schools can carry, what about the building layout? Structuring a school to look like a prison can impede developing belonging. In contrast, structuring a school like a comfortable college may serve to facilitate.
As for my readings, they document the importance of the sense of belonging to peer and teacher relationships. Middle school students seem to share a common belief that having a place to sit at lunch is reflective of whether a child belongs. In fact, they appear to attach a substantial amount of concern.
Similarly, my readings provide evidence that children learn better when they perceive their teacher cares about them. This seems commonsensical for me. With a study of sixth and seventh graders, I found it interesting they associated poor grades with the teacher not caring about them. It seems for a student, the grade may be seen as a reflection of student effort and teacher effort. A teacher would likely argue the grade is only a reflection of student effort.
Currently I am taking a film class that interestingly has me reconsidering the way schools are run. In my class we examine the complexity films need to appeal to the target audience. Think of films as having fast, progressive story lines. In the theater, a viewer has no opportunity to rewind the film to look for details they may have missed. Filmmakers know this and rely on complex techniques when filming. If teachers had similar resources perhaps the lessons would be improved. Students aren’t passive observes of a teacher’s lesson plan. The students bring with them schemata they will use to interpret the classroom, much the same they do for film. If students are excited to learn and are excited to be in school, they may bring positive schemata that will enhance the classroom.
This leads me to another idea. In whatever way teachers address the different levels of learning, whether slow, average, or fast learners, teachers need to consider having all students feel that they belong and that the teacher cares. Debate exists over the pitfalls and benefits of tracking, but whichever strategy schools employ they should not stigmatize any child. In the business world, Google has the motto- do no evil. Schools (in fact everyone) should have this motto. From my reading, Teaching to Change the World 3rd Ed by Oakes and Lipton they document Rockville Centre School District on Long Island, New York (p. 321). I found it amazing the school district found that placing mixed-ability groups in classes originally for high achievers, produced positive results. More remarkably, as Oakes and Lipton document, eventually 30 percent of the graduating class also earned the International Baccalaureate diploma. Reflecting on my own education in a suburban middle-class school, I didn’t hear about the IB program until after I graduated.
I wrap up this week reexamining my perception of classrooms. I have determined classrooms need community and a sense of belonging and caring. Lots of time is requested of teachers. Perhaps the students learn best if they take responsibility of the classroom time. Perhaps teachers should be viewed more as facilitators and advisors, less as dictators and gatekeepers.
I think that Ayers would agree with everything that you've written here (and we'll talk briefly about classroom space as a powerful means of communicating with kids about learning and about the value of each individual). And yes, the building as a whole conveys so much -- much talk about that in my world!
ReplyDeleteI would love to hear more about the film class. I'm highly intrigued by means of connecting kids to information and of conveying information in media beyond the voice. Production of media, and access to media produced by others is so easy now --- and we're doing little to teach teachers about their use.
And we'll be talking much more about community in the weeks to come!