Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Literacy Journal Response, Week 2

Sulzby & Teale:
Think about classrooms you have visited. What aspects of emergent literacy have you observed in young children? How have you seen teachers support the growth of young children's literacy?


The youngest class I have observed is the sixth grade. At this level I find some of the children have a healthy interest in reading. I have also seen that they make book recommendations to one another. In this sense, reading has become a social activity. The children get to read and respond to one another about how the text made them feel.

I have seen teachers support the growth of literacy with read aloud. The time is used to expose the students to new genres of literature. The teacher is able to read a chapter book and stop at points to discuss the story. Just as much, the teacher may stop at points to address a literary style the author is using or to point out the author’s word choice.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Wizard